History of LAMP CHC

In 1971, at a public meeting of the Lakeshore Community Council, it was decided that a health and multi-service centre was needed in the community. In 1973, residents and local agencies came together to work on developing a coordinated community service centre. The community organizing efforts finally paid off in 1976 when LAMP became a reality with funds provided by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

LAMP was funded as a pilot project to provide health services and to coordinate human services in the area. In October 1976, LAMP's doors at 185 Fifth Street in Etobicoke , Ontario , Canada , were officially opened to the public by Premier of Ontario the honourable William Davis.

The building quickly filled with programmes and services. With the help of the City of Etobicoke and a fundraising campaign, LAMP built a new wing to house expanding programmes and services in 1986.

Fire devastated LAMP in December 1989, resulting in all services and programmes finding alternate spaces throughout the Lakeshore Area. Nearly two years later, October 1991, LAMP officially re-opened its doors at 185 Fifth Street.

In 1996, our 20th Anniversary Celebrations included planning another physical expansion in order to provide space for The Family Centre, Street Level Youth Drop In and Occupational Health.

In June 1997, an official ground breaking ceremony was held in celebration of the beginning of a new addition. The programs moved in January and an open house for members and the community was held in March, 1999.

LAMP now provides a wide range of health and community services.

History of the Building

  • Early 1900's the building was Fifth Street Public School.
     
  • Fire damaged the building in the 1920's.
     
  • Rebuilt to be the New Toronto Town Hall which included the New Toronto Police Station.
     
  • In 1967 Etobicoke amalgamated with New Toronto and took over the building, it then housed Metro Social Services, 21 Division and Public Health.
     
  • 1972 - A resolution was presented at a local community meeting by Mrs. L. Everson and Rev. Doug Stringer for a Community Services Centre -A planning committee was formed and met regularly at 185 5th Street. Metro Police Division 21 was leaving the building so the site was chosen.
     
  • 1973 - Public meeting, Board of Trustees, constitution, incorporation.
     
  • In 1973-74 LAMP was incorporated and became residents of the building along with Metro Social Services, YMCA ASK and the Family Service Association.
     
  • 1976 - Doors opened to public by Premier William Davis and the YMCA Daycare moved into the building.
     
  • 1986 - Building was expanded to offer more services.
     
  • In 1989 - Fire devastated the building and all but the daycare was vacated for nearly two years while it was renovated.
     
  • The building re-opened in 1991 and became known as the LAMP building.
     
  • 1996 - Another large expansion to building for Street Level, Family Centre, Occupational Health.