“Health Promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over and to improve their health” – World Health Organization
Health Promotion is based on preventing illness and finding ways to keep people healthy, to strengthening their individual capacities and, the communities they live in. At LAMP we work together with the community and our partners to create sustainable, inclusive and healthy environments.
Every aspect of our work at LAMP from clinical to community services involves health promotion. Our health promotion team addresses the social determinants of health; those structural areas in life that influence our health and well-being. Many factors affect our health such as stresses associated with income and employment, food security, housing and social supports. Health Promotion at LAMP focuses on empowerment, public participation and reducing social inequalities as core components to improve health and opportunities for the future.
We serve a diverse population in the Lakeshore- Etobicoke community. Our priority populations include isolated seniors, people living in poverty, racialized and marginalized individuals and communities.
We work with individuals and communities in a variety of ways:
- personal development groups
- community education
- community identified initiatives
- intersectoral collaboration.
Ways to get involved:
- GREEN – GARDENS Pod Project, Environmental Workshops
- FOOD SECURITY – Good Food Market, Cooking Workshops
- INCOME SECURITY – South Etobicoke Social Welfare Reform Committee- Poverty, Affordable Housing, Civic Engagement.
- HOUSING – Community Wide Meetings on Affordable Housing
- PLANNING – Mimico Lakeshore Network-Urban planning issues
- COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE – Marketing and outreach to build awareness and the positive impact of LAMP and the CHC model of Care
For more information, program times, or to learn about ways that you can get involved please contact: Sandra Van 416-252-9701 ext. 239 or Jasmin Dooh 416-252-9701 ext. 308